The stone mission building was completed in 1796,
by the Dominicans. Photo by Kevin Clough on 2-99. N28°03.06' W113°05.08'
Santa Gertrudis' bell tower.
One bell forged with the name of a mission that was never completed to the north-east:
Santa Maria Magdalena. So, it's bell was hung here.
Photo by Kevin Clough
Mision Santa Gertrudis on Dec. 31, 2001. Photo by David Kier
The adobe San Borja mission from the Jesuits, and Franciscans.
Replaced by the Dominican stone church, in 1801.
A large steel awning now protects some of the ruins from further disintigration. c Jack Swords
This stone church was completed by the Dominicans in 1801. The older Jesuit adobe ruins are behind.
This is the northern most stone (cut from the lava cliffs, to the west) mission in Baja.
N 28°44.68' W113°45.29' c Jack Swords
Only melted adobe walls mark this first site for Mision Santa Maria at N29°25.28' W114°11.72'.
This mission lasted only seven months here (due to unusable water).
The new location was 30 miles north of Calamajue .
Photo by Kevin Clough on 2-96.
Calamajue on Jan. 2, 2002.
Facing west towards the arroyo.
Photo by David Kier
Calamajue, looking southeast. Photo on 1-2-02 by David Kier
The last Jesuit mission in Baja, Santa Maria.
The adobe chapel was built by the Franciscans in 1768 at N29°43.90' W114°32.83'.
c Jack Swords, photo taken 11-5-01.
See the oasis along the road to Santa Maria, photo by Bajamur, click on: http://bajamur.homestead.com/files/frstpool.jpg
Photo by Chicago Ross, 4-03. See http://vivabaja.com/403 for more area photos
Santa Maria de los Angeles, about 1905. Photo by Arthur North.